After Uncle Drew and Aunty Ruth's wedding we headed to Nelson Bay with the family for a few days.
It was migration season for humpback whales so Hayley, Dad the big kids and I headed out on a 3 hour whale watching trip. Daddy couldn't come as he would have thrown up the whole time... he suffers from horrible motion sickness.
We were lucky enough to see a baby whale. The crew on the boat had never seen one this small. He/she was probably about 10 feet long. It doesn't sound small but considering the fully grown whales were about 40-50 feet it was positively titchy! BTW, this is not a picture of the baby. I got some great video footage of it... then realized my camera was off. I nearly threw it into the sea!

I did kind of manage to get a picture of the baby. Can you see the white shape under the water? Apparently they are born white and turn darker as the sun "tans" them.


As we headed back to port a pod of dolphins came right up and swam between the two hulls of the catamaran we were on. The kids were ecstatic. Up until then they were convinced the whales we were seeing we dolphins!

The captain took us into cool cavern thing. The water was the bluest I had ever seen!

Corban and Riley had a fun time on the boat. For the next week all they could talk about was the whales they had seen and how whales are much bigger than dolphins. Thanks for coming with us Poppy and Aunty Hayley!






No comments:
Post a Comment